Most of the products manufactured
by the mechanical engineering sector are finished capital goods.
The remainder are mostly components for capital goods.
The approximate breakdown into sub-sectors (see
- 30% General Purpose Machinery,
this includes, furnaces, furnace burners, lifting and ventilation
- 20% each for Mechanical Power
and Special Purpose Machinery (including food processing, textiles,
mining and machines for metallurgy)
- 10% each for Agriculture
& Forestry and Domestic Appliances not Classified Elsewhere
- 5% each for Machine Tools
and Weapons & Ammunition
is characterised by:
- R&D using new technologies and materials
- A 4-5 year continuous product innovation
- Tailor made solutions
- High degree of specialisation
- High design content, product complexity
The sector has a high dependence on investment
by other manufacturing sectors and is therefore subject to cyclical
changes in demand.